Monday, December 7, 2009

On reading

Books. I love to read. Really, although I don't have as much time as I once did, I very much enjoy reading. A few years ago, I wrote a post about wanting, hoping, for Riley to enjoy reading as much as I do. I took her to the library, bought her lots and lots of books and read to her constantly. And...it worked! Riley starting reading herself at an early age and now she is a voracious reader. She loves to read. Yesterday I left her in her room for quiet time while Annie and I napped- and she read for 2 hours! Straight!

Anyway...that brings me to Annie. As a second child, she does not get the constant attention that Riley did, unfortunately. With Riley, I read to her as an infant....Annie- well, not so much :( Early on, with Riley, I made books a part of the bedtime routine. We would sit and rock and read some books, and then she would go to sleep. Well, Annie's sleep sagas have been well documented here....mainly, she did not like to sleep so much (this is MUCH better now, but that is another post). So, reading books came later with Annie. But, we do read, and Riley reads to her, and I had hope that it would be enough.

I am pleased to say, Annie has followed her sister's footsteps in this way, even without all of the extra attention to books that Riley had. Basically- Annie is now OBSESSED with books!!! It is constant- all she wants to do is have us read to her. And we read the same few books over and over and over and over and over (you get the point!)....it is hilarious. Sometimes she will let Riley read to her, which is great because it gives me a nice break to get something done around the house, like laundry!

And we have now incorporated books into her bedtime routine, I am proud to say! So, I have high hopes for little Miss Annie, who, even though we started off slow, should be reading, just like her big sister, in no time!!!

No comments: