Thursday, December 17, 2009

Annie

Annie has been sick. Really sick.

It started last Friday- she was fine when I dropped her off at school, but when I picked her up, they said she had been coughing again and was running a slight (99 degree) temp. I figured she was just getting another cold, and she seemed ok that night. In fact, she ate a ton of pizza at dinner, so I was hopeful that maybe it was just a quick thing.

Unfortunately, at about 10:30 that night, she woke up screaming and coughing. When I went in to get her she started choking, and vomited all over herself and the floor. I took her into the bathroom, and she started wheezing badly, and then gasping for air. She vomited again, and was then really, really gasping and she sounded horrible. I ran the shower for steam, and we quickly gave her a breathing treatment...nothing worked. I started freaking out- we talked about taking her to the ER, but I didn't want to get in the car with her like that- by myself, since Todd had to stay with Riley, who was sleeping through all of this. I called my mom quickly to see what to do, and at that point, Todd said- call 911- so I got off the phone- they were coming over to keep Riley- and I called.....

EMS came and they took us to the hospital- my first ride ever in an ambulance- and gave her O2 and another treatment on the way. They took her temp- it was 103.5- and she was pretty out of it....as soon as they got us in the room, they did another treatment, and then another...Todd showed up....they took a chest xray. The respiratory nurse thought she might have croup and talked to us about steroids.....

Finally, the doc said that they thought it was pneumonia and that they would give her antibiotics and to continue the breathing treatments, and they sent us home- without another word about croup (this will become important!).....

So, Todd and I spent the rest of the night holding her upright in the chair to sleep....and the next day, more of the same, and the next night, and the next day....she sounded like a train- her breathing was still so heavy and labored and she wasn't sleeping at all- we were tempted to take her back, but decided to just wait it out.

Finally, Monday morning I called her regular pediatrician and took her in....and in a matter of minutes told me that it sounded like classic croup, not pneumonia, prescribed her steroids and said she should feel better soon.

And sure enough, by that afternoon and the next day, she was much better, and now (Thursday) she is breathing great and sleeping through the night again....

Such a scary, scary weekend for us....I am so grateful that it wasn't worse and that she is feeling better now....

No comments: