Thursday, October 29, 2009

Icky Sicky

So, Annie has been sick.

She actually has been coughing off and on for several weeks- since before the beach. But it would be bad, and then get better, and then get bad again, though never really enough for us to worry. Until it did, and so we did (worry, that is!). Added to the fact that I was planning a trip overnight, away from the kids, with Todd in charge....well, we decided that she needed to be checked out.

So, I brought her in on Friday afternoon, and the pediatrician (not her usual) said she had a sinus infection, gave us an antibiotic, a steroid for her lungs and liquid Albuterol because she was wheezing. And off we went home.

That night she slept very little because she coughed so much.

She coughed off and on Saturday...when she woke from her nap, she was miserable and we missed a birthday party because she was coughing and just not happy.

And then she didn't sleep on Saturday night....really, not at all.

And she coughed, and coughed, and coughed...enough that she vomited several times (and all over me) and finally I had enough.

So, I packed her up and we headed to the ER, just she and I. We waited for 2 1/2 hours in the waiting room. She was actually good- she played with me a bit, watched a little TV and then fell asleep in my arms.

When we were finally seen, the doc did an x-ray to rule out pneumonia and checked her oxygen levels (both were ok- although at one point the nurse almost didn't let us leave b/c her O2 level had decreased, but turned out it was just because Annie was hysterical from having the cuff on her foot)....

And they told me she had bronchitis, not a sinus infection. In fact, as it turns out, babies do not HAVE sinuses until they are older!! AND, he also told me not to give her the liquid Albuterol- it is only for ADULTS!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

So, she had a breathing treatment, and a prescription for the machine, which they dropped off the next day...and has been getting better since then.

It was a rough weekend....but she is feeling much like herself now and I am so glad. It is hard to have a sick baby.....really hard. But I am soooooo sooooo grateful that she is healthy- that both of my girls are. Just one night in the ER makes you realize how different it could be if they were not.

No comments: